A while back we prepared a handout of the common pet poisons found around homes. It was a compilation of information published by the ASPCA, veterinary hospitals and poison control centers. Imagine my surprise when I revisited that handout to find it was more than six years old!
Even more surprising is that the list has not changed much over those 6 years. A few dangers have moved up or down the list, but not many have dropped off or been added to that original listing. One notable exception that made the list for the first time this year was Joint supplements. Seems that along the growth in popularity of these supplements has come a spike in accidental overdoses.
To help your pet from adding to the statistics used for this study, here’s a quick recap of some common household items which should be kept well out of the reach of your pets. These lists are by no means complete, but a quick glance may help avoid a mishap down the road!
Human Medications dangerous to pets
Our over the counter and prescription drugs are by far the leading cause of reported pet poisoning. While some human medications are also prescribed for pets, it’s best to consider any and all of your meds off limits for your pets.
Blood pressure, antidepressants and pain medications are at the most common causes pet poisoning cases. More often than not, these incidents resulted from a pet ingesting a medication that was accidently dropped.
Seemingly benign medications like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, decongestants and sleep aids are also high on the list of reported poisoning cases.
Dangerous Foods for Pets
Most of us are aware that chocolate can be deadly for dogs. Many dogs can tolerate small does, while the same dose can be deadly for others. The same is true for the other foods on this list. While an occasional raisin or grape may not be harmful, it’s best to not take the chance. Here are a few other foods to avoid which can cause problems for our pets:
- Cooked bones of any kind
- Grapes and raisins
- Macadamia nuts
- Onions and onion powder
- Seeds and pits from some fruits (apple, apricot, cherry, peach, persimmon)
- Uncooked yeasted dough
- Xylitol and other artificial sweeteners
Home & Garden products dangerous to pets:
- Mouse and Rat bait
- Cocoa mulch
- Drain cleaners
- Paint thinners
- Pool & spa chemicals
Dangerous Plants for pets to eat:
- Lilies (particularly toxic to cats)
- Aloe Vera
Contrary to popular belief, ingesting Poinsettia leave may make a pet sick, but are not toxic.
Want to know more? Visit the sites below to see their updated poison listings: